Thanks to Fit Approach and Sweat Pink, I was able to try freekeh from Freekeh Foods. What the heck is freekeh? I had no clue, but I found out that it’s an ancient roasted grain (green wheat, to be exact) with a nutty, chewy texture. At my house, we all like brown rice and quinoa, so I figured this would be a great alternative. I was right! And with up to three times more fiber and protein than brown rice, less calories than quinoa, and a low glycemic index, it is a healthier option, too. Oh, did I mention it’s organic?
I chose to try the Original flavor first because I’m pretty plain-Jane when it comes to foods, plus I wanted to try it two different ways – one savory and one sweet. I cooked up my chicken and veggies like I usually do and substituted the freekeh for quinoa. It was great! I liked the hearty texture the freekeh gave the dish, and the flavor wasn’t overpowering. Although my kids weren’t there to try it for dinner, I’m sure even the pickiest one would have approved. Next up was the sweet freekeh, and I mixed it up like I would my oatmeal by adding some raisins and brown sugar for a little sweetness. The sweet version was really good, and I had a hard time deciding which version I liked better. I think next time I’m going to do a breakfast mix with freekeh, steel cut oats, and quinoa just for a little variety.
Want to try freekeh? You have a chance to win a package in the flavor of your choice (Original, Rosemary Sage, or Tamari)! Here’s how to enter.
- Leave a comment below telling me how you’d get your freekeh on
- Follow @freekehfoods on Twitter and leave a comment below
- Follow @freekehfoods on Instagram and leave a comment below
- Like Freekeh Foods on Facebook and leave a comment below
- Follow @FitApproach on Twitter and leave a comment below
- Follow @fitapproach on Instagram and leave a comment below
- Tweet about the giveaway using the hashtags #LoveFreekeh and #Freekeh and the link to this blog post (don’t forget to let me know you tweeted in the comments!)
The giveaway starts today, August 26 and ends Wednesday, September 2. The winner will be announced on the blog and will have 48 hours to claim the prize. If the prize isn’t claimed, a new winner will be chosen. Good luck!