To me, running is nearly impossible without music. Okay, maybe I’m being a little dramatic, but you try pumping out a marathon with nothing but the sounds of your breathing and tired legs pounding the pavement. While some people love running without music and being one with the run, I need a little auditory stimulation.
Most of the music I have on my mp3 player (I have a nice iPod, but I’m waiting for my old one to crap out before using it) is the same as when I first started running. The songs inspire me and evoke memories that make me smile. Here’s a list of some of my fave running songs.
- “Somebody’s Hero” by Jamie O’Neal. I absolutely love this song, and although it is not typical workout music, it’s just what I need when I’m running long distance. This song makes me think about my grandmas and my mom. I look up to them so much and hope one day I can be more like them. I also hope that my daughters think the same about me. I used this as my song for miles 23-24 of the Honolulu Marathon, which I ran in memory of my Grandma and Grandpa Gielink, and made sure it played during both the Cleveland and Columbus marathons. It still makes me tear up every time.
- “Uprising” by Muse. Something about running to this song makes me feel like a total badass, and it reminds me of the first time I ran an entire 10 mile race. It was the Towpath 10-10 in 2010, and I was around mile 8. I was already keeping a pretty good pace, but this came on, and I took off. While this song was playing, my running felt effortless. Because it still has the same effect on me, I use it to help give me a boost when I feel myself slumping during a run.
- “Life is Perfect” by Nuff Sedd. Raymond put this song on my mp3 player, and I don’t think I will ever take it off. Indeed, life is perfect ❤
- “How Many Licks” by Lil’ Kim. PLEASE, for the love of the children, don’t open this link around your kids! This song is completely inappropriate, but that is why I love it. It reminds me of sophomore year of college, dancing around the dorm room with my roomie, Sarah. Good times.
- “Panic Switch” by Silversun Pickups. The lead singer’s voice is haunting, but something about this song gets me excited to run. It also reminds me of the movie Sucker Punch, which some people thought was absolutely ridiculous, but I loved it.
- “Touch My Girlfriend” by Titus Jones. This song is a mash-up of “Touch My Body” by Mariah Carey and “Girlfriend” by Avril Lavigne with a little bit of “Lollipop” by Lil’ Wayne. It was one of the very first songs that I had to listen to when I started running, and you may or may not see me acting out my own personal choreographed moves when running to it (don’t judge).
- “My Body” by Young the Giant. This is a relatively newer addition to my running playlist. There’s something about the line, “My body tells me no, but I won’t quit ’cause I want more” that keeps me running when I want to give up.
I am always looking for suggestions, so what songs inspire and move you and why?