To me, having music to fuel my runs is just as important as the right shoes, proper hydration, and a great sports bra. Not to say that I haven’t run without music before – I actually completed a half last year without a single note – but songs have a way of motivating me and helping me push when I need it most. Plus, when I’m knocking out a 13-, 15-, or 20-miler on the treadmill, I NEED something a little more stimulating than the horrible sports programs that are usually on the TVs. People watching is only so much fun.
Recently, my trusty Sansa Clip took a dump, and all of my music was wiped. While I had some saved on my computer, most of it was lost because I was not the person who originally loaded it. However, I am looking at it this way – new iPod, new music! – and I suppose I could get new songs after 4+ years of running. Here are a few that are on my new running playlist and will help carry me to a PR in Cleveland (I am employing the power of positive thinking!). Some are older, others are newer, but they are all awesome.
- New Politics – Harlem: I am completely obsessed with this song and guilty of singing and dancing while on the treadmill. Plus, the kids love it, so when it comes on Pandora, we have a dance party in the kitchen.
- Arctic Monkeys – Do I Wanna Know?: In addition to the song above, this is another one of my recent obsessions. It’s not a typical running song, but it always makes me go a little faster.
- One Direction – Kiss You: Did you seriously think I could have a running playlist without One Direction?! This song is so catchy, and the faster pace works perfectly for me when I want to kick up the speed. Also, this was the song playing when I started the Northern Ohio Half Marathon, and I rocked a serious PR!
- alt-J – Tessellate: This is another one of those songs that shouldn’t really be a running song, but I’m kind of in love with the haunting sound of it. The vocals and music are so weird that you just have to listen.
- The All-American Rejects – Dirty Little Secret: I have loved this song from the first time I heard it! Definitely a good one when I need a pick-me-up.
- Linkin Park – A Light That Never Comes: In my opinion, Linkin Park can do no wrong. I have quite a few of their songs on my playlist, but this may be my favorite.
- Kongos – Come With Me Now: If this song comes on the radio, Pandora, or my iPod, I can’t get it out of my head! Plus, it has an accordion, and that dude rocks it.
- Sara Bareilles – Brave: This is my self-proclaimed girl power song! Enough said.
- Lady Gaga with R. Kelly – Do What U Want: I don’t care if Lady Gaga gets weirder by the minute or that R. Kelly likes his girls a little younger; it doesn’t take away from this being a great song.
- The Offspring – I Want You Bad: Ahh, The Offspring. Reminds me of middle and high school. With a fast pace and loud lyrics, I can’t help but turn up the volume when this comes on.
- OneRepublic – Counting Stars: I will be the first to admit that I am NOT a fan of this band, but something about this song makes me want to play it on repeat. This is another fave of the kiddles, and listening to Cael sing it is one of the cutest things.
- Panic! At The Disco – Miss Jackson: I first heard this driving in my minivan and needed to add it to my playlist. Again, not a real fan of this band but definitely a fan of this song.