To actually consider myself not to be a real runner is absolutely absurd, but there are times when that thought creeps into my head. It’s usually when I’m shaming myself after reading about all of the awesome people I consider real runners on social media (FYI studies prove that social media can be bad for your self-esteem). Anyway, here are some reason why I don’t always feel like a “real” runner.
1. I like the treadmill and look forward to my runs on it. Sorry, readers, but you won’t catch this girl slogging through the snow and rain or even burning sun for that matter. When the weather gets (semi) cruddy, I take it indoors. Plus the added element of daycare at the gym makes this a win-win for me.
2. I HATE the foam roller. Say what you like about the benefits of it, but I still hate it. In my defense, I like The Stick, which to me is a better and easier option. I already had my workout when I ran; I don’t want to get an extra one in when I try to foam roll.
3. I don’t eat clean. I’m not a horrible eater by any means, but I definitely indulge in my fair share of treats. Sweets are my weakness, and if it means a few more miles, so be it. Life’s short; drink the beer and eat the cupcake.
4. I wear shorts over my running tights, and those running capris won’t be found in my wardrobe. Something about showing that much in the front and back while wearing those tights makes me uneasy, so to make me feel more comfortable and not resemble the walking part of a camel, I wear shorts, too. Stylish…no, but that’s not what I’m going for anyway. And don’t get me started on running capris. I know a lot of people think they’re cute, and they really do look good on others. Me, on the other hand, not so much.
5. You won’t catch me waking up before the sun to get my run in. I’m not a morning person, and the thought of waking up even earlier to get my run in before work or whatever else I have to do sounds horrible. I prefer to fit my runs in during mid- to late morning or evening. It just works better for me. All of the real runners can be up before the sun rises. I need my beauty sleep.
Are there things that make you feel like you’re not a real runner?